Thursday, August 18, 2011

Featured Artist: Adnascent Photography

I have always been a fan of photography; I have dabbled with trying to take some artistic, abstract pictures but cannot touch the skill of some professionals.  I recently had the opportunity to speak with one of my favorite photographers, George, at Adnascent Photography.  It is obvious George has an eye for beautiful images and a sense for making the mundane interesting.
     
       

Q: How did you get interested in photography?
A: In high school, several years ago, I saw a Polaroid digital camera at a local Wal-Mart and impulsively bought it.  I was also prone to walks along the Ohio River in the small town that I lived in and found myself carrying the camera with me.  I was surprised how easy it is to capture a beautiful moment with your eyes and translating into another medium such as photographs.  I was hooked.
Q: How long have you seriously been taking photographs?
A: About seven years but have been taking pictures longer.
Q: What are your favorite subjects of your photographs?
A: I like to photography places that feel strange and isolated; something that does not have an apparent meaning but evokes an emotion.  I am inspired by music, lots of music.  I constantly listen to music.  The Ghostly International label is by far my favorite.  Did I mention I am always listening to music?
Q: What have been some of your favorite projects that you have worked on?
A: I love to take pictures of my dad: his beard, his pipe, his hands.  Also, I love to take abstract pictures of Chicago: the streets, buildings, skyline.  I also very much enjoy taking pictures with my Fujifilm point and shoot film camera because I worry more about the picture I am taking rather than image quality.
Q: They still make film?
A: (laughs) Yeah, it is sad that its use is decreasing because it is so organic.
Q:  Do you have any advice for amateur artists?
A: To find something that inspires you that you do not fully understand because it will challenge you to keep pursuing your art.
Q: If you could be a color, what color would you be and why?
A: Black because I used to go to a peat bog in the middle of the night where it was completely dark and I could not see anything and I could open my mind.  It was complete freedom.
A huge thanks to George for his time and for sharing his art.  Check out Adnascent Photography at www.adnascent.com. 
        
       

3 comments:

  1. Great interview questions and great advise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Funky Finds! All our services are in an effort to help promote independent artists, crafters & designers worldwide. Stay funky! http://funkyfinds.com/services

    ReplyDelete